Thursday, April 5, 2012

Day 4 - Immanuel school, Debrecen Zoo and a revelation...

Today we returned to the Immanuel centre to see some of the other ways they work with the disabled young people apart from physiotherapy.
Firstly we attended their assembly. This was hosted by the minister Ismael and two jolly guitar players. It opened with a song about god sung by one of the older clients, then a short parable was acted out by the minister and some of the staff. It followed what would be any religious school assembly. What struck me was how the young people, which had a huge differentiation in disabilities all sat with each other and on the most part enjoyed the assembly. The staff showed a very good ability in controlling the children and treated them the same way we would expect them to be treated in the UK. The fact that I noticed this would suggest that I had a preconception that they might not treat them as well, although this must have been a sub conscious one. In the UK we on the whole presume we are more modernised, more civilised, more fair, generally better. But when it
comes to core needs and practices, surely they must be the same if educated to a decent standard? One would like to think so...
After the assembly finished, we helped in a clay modelling session. The young people we were helping were more able but still severely disabled. We were to make 'optimistic elephants',an activity they had done before. Each young person had an individual element to complete based on their ability. One rolled the legs, others rolled balls for the body, one rolled the trunks and one made the ears. My first efforts at building the elephant were hysterically laughed at by one of the kids who was building then to. I decided to go rogue and built a minister elephant...(see picture below)I was pretty proud and the young people all liked it! Again, what was fantastic was the group ethos, that there was a sense of community and the kids were very happy. It was a very fun morning and one which helped demonstrate to all our travelling group that this day centre/school was very important and incredibly worthwhile.
The time at Immanuel was finished with some time with the choir, which Kath helped deliver the song 'he's got the whole world in his hands' in English, which she did extremely well!
Immanuel has helped me see both what charity can achieve in Hungary but also how in both cultures young people with disabilities can live a happy and social life if the opportunity is given.

In the afternoon, Hayley and I went to Debrecen zoo. It was about £3.50 each to get in and was a really good experience. Most of the animals didn't live in enclosed cages, instead the lived on islands surrounded by electric fences. This helped give the impression that you were really close to the animals. The animals were all very relaxed which was good to see.
Again, possible preconceptions meant that I was concerned the zoo may be of poor standards, but if anything it was better than any British zoo.
So far on my trip I have been constantly analysing my attitudes, which I would deem very open minded, which has both surprised and delighted me!


Oh...and also I found out I had been getting funny looks for drinking cups of coffee because apparently I had been drinking espresso... So when I had two full cups in the morning, I had actually been drinking 8shots of espresso... On Monday I had consumed 17 shots by 2pm... Buzzing...

No comments:

Post a Comment